Monday, June 23, 2008

Dr. K. Wendell Chen (1937 - 2008)

The obituary for my uncle, from the Fort Worth Star-Telegram

ARLINGTON -- Dr. K. Wendell Chen passed away Saturday, June 21, 2008 in Arlington at the age of 70.

Funeral: 3:30 p.m. Saturday at Moore Funeral Home Chapel. Visitation: The family will receive friends from 6 to 8 p.m. at the funeral home.

Memorials: The family suggests remembrances be made in Dr. K. Wendell Chen's name to the American Red Cross China Earthquake relief Fund The American Red Cross

Dr. Chen was born in Anwhei, China and came to the U.S. in 1955 to attend the University of Washington in Seattle. After graduating from UW with a B.A. in Physics (1960), he pursued his post-graduate education at Harvard University in Cambridge, Mass. and received a PhD for Physics (1964). Dr. Chen then took a position as an Assistant Professor at Princeton University, N.J. (1964-1972), a Professor at Michigan State University (1973-1979), a Senior Scientist at Fermilab in Batavia, Ill., and a Senior Scientist a the European Center for Nuclear Research (CERN) in Switzerland (1980-81). From 1981 until his retirement, he was a professor and director of the Center for Accelerator Sciences and Technology at the University of Texas at Arlington. He served as a member of the panel in high energy physics for the National Academy of Sciences and also was a Fellow of the American Physical Society. Dr. Chen was instrumental in the consortium for the Superconducting Supercollider (SSC) Project which took place in Waxahachie, TX.

Survivors: Dr. K. Wendell Chen is survived by his son Henry R. Chen of San Francisco, and daughter, Kristina M. Chen of Los Angeles.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

On behalf of my family, I would like to express our deepest condolence to the family of Chen.
Sandra

Anonymous said...

Dear Ernest:

Please accept my belated condolence for your father's passing. Your father and I served on the physics faculty at Michigan State in the seventies, and we left around the same time. For various reasons, mostly my laziness, we lost touch. I hope your and your sister's families and your mother, Linda are well.

Z. Ming Ma

Jeana said...

This man was one of the best men I have ever known in my life! He always had time to listen and had the perfect advice, I love you and miss you so much Wendell but I know you are still here with me! I hope others got to know half the man I did! I love you!

Unknown said...

I moved away and then moved back. I was just looking up Wendell's phone number so I could say hi and maybe stop by to see him. I sure missed his friendship. I can't believe I lost contact with Wendell. It sure wasn't because I didn't love him and cherish his friendship. I can't believe I've lost such a good friend and never knew it till today. I'm so sad and angry at myself for loosing contact. My condolences to Wendell's family and my apologies to my friend for having lost contact. I'm sure you know you will always be in my heart Wendell.

Much love and sadness,
Elwanna